Roundtable - Vision
Moab Arts Council
Community Arts Roundtable
Vision Brainstorm 2005 & 2006
These are the wishes, dreams, concerns and needs for the arts as expressed by over 25 citizens who gathered to share their ideas at the first Arts Roundtable, October 2005. In November 2006, the community gathered again. This 2nd Arts Roundtable reviewed the 2005 document and made comments/additions. Items have been categorized and do not represent any sort of priority.
Making Moab an Arts Destination
- Produce an ARTS in Moab TV show to run on local stations,
in motels, etc.
06’ “the station is ready”
- Explore Utah and Moab area travel council's
funding Arts Moab video
06’ “still a good idea”
- Fund and schedule an international (landscape oriented) artist/event such as Andy Goldsworthy or James Turrell. He would draw international arts attention.
ongoing Arts Advertising - engage travel council
and Moab websites in this
06’ it’s happening! MoabARTS
- Use influence of MAC and MARC with
city, county and travel council
06’ focus on county recreation special service district
- Research legislative marketing grant
- 06’ be REALISTIC about WORK involved! Prevent burnout and arts fatigue
- Create more theater, theater in the Red Rocks, on the
06’ “revisit Performing Arts Tour for theater”
06’ “get detail from Paul Malluk on theater project”
06’ “Beckett on the ballfield – Shakespeare at Sand Flats”
- Fully fund the MARC, on-going programs, create artist-in-residence position
- Support more
and varied use of Star Hall and the MARC
06’ more local and region and national workshop/production usage
- Support the
Star Hall project
06’ “is its renovation up to theater union code?”
- Research NPS Arts
n' the Parks
06’ Hucko will check this out, BLM and NFS too
- Arts Purchase plan for
06’ “what is the city’s wish list for arts purchase?” (Bruce to check with city)
- Integrate local artists into % for art in public building program
- More arts in the schools
06’ “tighten/support of local schools to UAC-state office connections
- More arts education/community
Chris Layer model?)
06’ MMTN Moab Music Teachers Network…aka Sheila Strahan
- More arts workshops for parents/kids – at the MARC or MARC extensions?
- Conduct workshops for local artists wanting
to work in the schools
06’ there is much interest in this!
- Fund a Moab-based Arts in Education program (schools and other venues)
- Create more interdisciplinary events
- Needed workshops –
1) good & effective advertising
2) managing events
- Have a "commercial vs and fine art" discussion/educational forum
- Create a fund for publicizing not-for-profit arts events
06’ happening in part with co-op marketing
The Local Arts Environment
- Establish a "Gallery Center"
06’ it’s happening!!
- Establish an "artist's co-op"
06’ it’s happening with Petra
- What are the zoning ramifications of placing
06’ see David Olsen at city planning
- Research the Grand Junction model
for placement/funding of local art
06’ ask David Olsen to do this
- Look at/change character of downtown
(new light poles to have sculpture!)
- Research policies on having artists setup/sell on city streets
- Review policies regarding insurance for art and artists in public spaces
- We need a
coordinating entity for all this? Is
it the MAC?
- Review/create a central publication for the arts in Moab. Happenings II?
- Place art in municipal buildings on a more consistent
06’ library and city hall are doing great!!
06’ learn what’s happening with other buildings/change
a survey of local arts spaces (performance, studio, production, etc)
06” check with Hound Dog Sound for this
- Create an Arts Business Incubator
06’ visit city economic action plan
- Educate public officials on the economic & social
aspects of art
06’ this is everyone’s homework!
- Use influence of the MAC and
MARC at travel council, county council, city council to focus attention
on Moab as arts destination
06’ the climate for this is better than it’s ever been
Getting Connected-Getting Funded
- Utah Arts Tour - a dog n’pony road show to acquaint
communities with their programs, etc.
06’ doing well, do more
- Educate ourselves about the Arts n' Parks tax
06’ Theresa’s homework forever!
Educate ourselves about the current tax use for Recreation - what is the
policy and could it be shifted to include the arts. Aren't the goals the same?
- Search and
schedule a presenter for an Arts in Poor Towns workshop
06’ still strongly desire this!!!
- Partner with the city